LED signs have grown in popularity over the years, especially in the commercial industry. In comparison to conventional glass neon lights and fluorescent lights, LED signs are more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.
And that isn’t where the benefits end.
One of the biggest points of consideration, if you’re in search of a commercial business sign, is energy consumption — and LED signs offer savings. But just how much?
Let your commercial LED sign manufacturers in McAllen go over LED energy consumption and costs.
Understanding LED Light vs. Traditional Lighting Options
In order to determine potential savings, we should start with energy consumption.
The typical LED light’s power consumption is around 150 watts. On the other hand, fluorescent and neon glass consume approximately 400 to 610 watts.
You may be wondering how LED lights have lower power consumption, and the answer involves their design. The main factor to consider is their light source, which stems from light-emitting diodes. These small components consume much less energy than other forms of lighting, like incandescent bulbs.
Additionally, LED lights emit much less heat than fluorescent and incandescent lights, which release massive amounts of energy through heat. In fact, fluorescent lights release about 80% of their energy as heat, and incandescent bulbs lose about 90% in the same way.
If you were to measure the use of LED lighting versus traditional lighting options over the course of twelve hours, you’d find that LED lights require less than half the power of traditional glass neon lights and four times less than fluorescent lights.
Calculating Power Consumption of Your Commercial LED Sign
To get an idea of how much power your outdoor LED sign will consume, consider the following information.
- First, you’ll want to know the price per kilowatt of power. You can get this information from your power company or by searching online.
- Determine the power consumption of the LED lights in watts. This information is usually provided by the manufacturer.
- Next, determine how long you’ll be powering your sign for.
- The final equation should look like this: Cost of Power: power consumption per hour (kW) X cost per kW X hours in use
Save Money & The Earth
Ultimately, what you’ll find is that LED lights consume much less energy than your other options, which translates to savings for your company. Depending on the price of kilowatt in your area, you could be saving hundreds of dollars over the course of a year and thousands over the course of your sign’s life.
But money isn’t all you’ll be saving:
- By using less energy to run your sign, you’re helping to dump less carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
- Because LED lights contain no harmful chemicals, you won’t be polluting the environment.
- LED lights can last 3 to 10 times longer than other forms of lighting options, which means you conserve the materials and resources used to make them and replace them.
- LED bulbs can be recycled.
HiWay Neon Lights: Your McAllen LED Sign Manufacturer
LED lights are the way of the future, not only helping your business save money on energy costs but also allowing your company to be more eco-friendly.
If you’re in search of a business LED sign in McAllen, look no further than HiWay Neon Signs. We can help to manufacture the perfect sign for your company.